Alfredo Moser: Bottle light inventor proud to be poor
1. What if I told you with only a bottle of water and some bleach you would never have to use a light bulb in the morning (as long as you live on the top floor that is). Alfredo has pulled off something similar to the work of Thomas Edison but he isn’t really looking to make a killing from his invention. See here for more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23536914
Dying Teen Is Being Denied A Heart Transplant Because He’s Had Trouble With The Law
2. Fifteen-year-old Anthony Stokes has less than six months to live unless he receives an emergency heart transplant. But his family has been told that Anthony doesn’t qualify for the transplant list because he has a “history of non-compliance” — partly due to his history of earning low grades and having some trouble with the law. Ermm…this kid is 15 and I can already feel this turning into another race matter…See more here: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/08/12/2453941/dying-teen-heart-transplant/
Testicle-biting fish invading Denmark, authorities warn
4. Science fiction or reality? Serial entreprenure and billionaire Elon Musk unveiled designs and plans for his hyperloop superfast transport system costing a fraction of the currently proposed high speed rail project. To think I was talking about something similar only three days ago! See here for more: http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/12/news/economy/hyperloop-elon-musk/index.html
If you went to school in Africa (Nigerian boarding schools to be precise) you undoubtedly have a completely different perception to what gets passed off as bullying in the West. The concept of cyber-bull where I’m from is more or less an oxymoron (ain’t no body got time for that!). From as early as nine or ten years old most kids (myself included) experience physical bullying in the form of belting and a range of corporal punishments I cannot begin to explain. The school systems are structured to permit this kind of treatment with an unspoken rule that arranges a power structure within students based on what year you are in. Teachers of course are allowed to smack you. While I will not promote or defend bullying in this way, I would point out that this ‘suck it up’ philosophy encourages a certain type of character building unseen in the West as far as bullying is concerned. I have been reading through comments about the victim of cyber bullying on Ask.fm that ended up hanging herself and it has really got me thinking. Of course this is not the first time such a case has arisen and if steps are not taken it wouldn’t be the last either.
Most comments seem to call for better monitoring of these sites, better parental monitoring of children’s internet activity, or blame the victims for not being mature enough to handle the situation. I think it is worth considering how children are socialized these days to figure out if society is not giving kids the tools essential to build strong characters. Could it be possible that in today’s society children are over-protected and under-monitored? I will give an example. In Nigeria it is very common for parents to physically hit their kids to deter them from repeating an offense. Because this happens to everyone there is no stigma attached to it. No Nigerian grows up feeling ‘abused’ because their parents hit them with a belt or shoe on a few occasions. In the West a parent hitting the child provides this child with a sob story for the rest of their life. I actually remember being teased with the term ‘ajebor’ (posh) in school because I said my parents never hit me. In fact I considered making up that they did just to feel normal!
Do you think old people suggest bringing back the cane because they want others to taste their pain or because they actually believe it is can help for character building?
I do not have kids therefore I feel rather unqualified to suggest a solution, but it is obvious that much needs to be done in regards to character building to reduce the need for social acceptance among the young. Perhaps some scheme rolled out to lecture kids on handling bullying after teaching them how to put condoms over cucumbers?
Athiest Richard Dawkins in hot water over Islam dig on Twitter
2. Famous for his anti-religious views Richard Dawkins has found himself in another keyboard war when he pointed out that the entire Muslim community has less Nobel Prizes than Trinity College, Cambridge but were very progressive in the Middle Ages. While a fact cannot be racist and Islam is not a race a lot of people have branded this bigotry especially as he has chosen to Tweet this on Eid of all days. See here for more: http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/09/athiest-richard-dawkins-in-hot-water-over-islam-dig-on-twitter-3917965/
5. Oprah Winfrey has said she recently became a victim of racism when a shop assistant in Switzerland refused to show her a £24,477 handbag saying it would be “too expensive” for her. Taking cross cultural awareness into account it is not easy to ascertain if this shop assistant was being racist or elitist, but what’s really the big deal in letting a shopper look at an item even if they can’t afford it? See here for more: http://news.sky.com/story/1126475/oprah-winfrey-victim-of-racism-in-swiss-shop
1.So you think your breakup was stressful? This girl was set ablaze! According to reports her ex pretty much empited a can of petrol on her and I’m sure you get the rest. This happened as far back as July but is only getting public attention now as it is about to go to court. I cannot begin to imagine why it took so long. See here for more: http://www.punchng.com/news/jilted-lover-sets-corps-member-friend-ablaze/
Vietnam to ban discussion of news on social media sites
3. Have you ever imagined going to jail for updating you Facebook status, or even worse, commenting? I Vietname there are talks to ban everything but personal conversations across all social media. The things the rulers of nations can dream up is unbelievable. Good luck to them. Click here to see more: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/06/vietnam-decree-72
1. I actually had to read this twice to be sure I wasn’t dreaming. These guys were having a joint by this guy’s house, one thing led to another in an argument and he emptied a can of petrol on them. The news reports that the boys tried to run after this but set themselves ablaze from the joint they were smoking. Speechless, see more at: http://www.punchng.com/news/landlord-sets-six-youths-ablaze-for-smoking-hemp/
Russia “disappointed” bilateral talks with US cancelled
2. Are we heading for another cold war? Barack Obama pulled out of a meeting last minute with Putin which we are all speculating is linked to Russia’s choice to grant the US whistle blower Snowden asylum for a year. Is it just me or has everyone else noticed the news in regards to politics hasn’t changed since we were kids. The middle-east has always been locked in some war and America has been beefing every country outside Western Europe. This is getting old! See more at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/23608052
3. In the Venezuelan coastal city of Maracaibo, they’re known as piranhas. But these aren’t the flesh-eating fish found in some South American rivers. They’re fast and ferocious thieves who residents say are increasingly attacking women. The common denominator among the victims? All of them had long hair…until thieves came at them with scissors, snipping it off. Daaamn: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/07/world/americas/venezuela-hair-theft/
Policeman caught on camera demanding bribe dismissed
4. As much as this will serve as a warning to bribe collecting Nigerian police officers (don’t they all do?), I will have to say by Nigerian standards his only crime was getting caught. Is it even right to fire this officer for accepting bribe when we know politicians and police commissioners alike have defrauded the country far more than this man ever would? See more at: http://www.punchng.com/metro/policeman-caught-on-camera-demanding-bribe-dismissed/
Google launches Spotify rival Play Music in the UK
Rich Kids of Instagram’ to Become a Reality TV Show
1. So you think you’re cool with your pouts and hats, well these kids are so cool they are getting their own TV show! Not a fan of reality TV shows as they are always far from reality but I will give this an episode to see what it’s about. See here for more info: http://mashable.com/2013/08/06/rich-kids-of-beverly-hills/
Cultists on revenge mission stab two to death
2. Hate to be the bringer of bad news again but cultists in Nigeria have apparently killed two young men is a revenge plot. Two other occupants of the house were stabbed and shot but luckily survived thanks to police intervention. Good to know our response times are getting better 🙂 See the link for more info: http://www.punchng.com/metro/cultists-on-revenge-mission-stab-two-to-death/
Just when I was praising our men in uniform this happens
3. Some policemen have raised the alarm over what they termed, arbitrary deductions from their salaries. The policemen alleged that the Mechanized Salary Section of the police made unauthorized deductions of N5, 000 from their salaries. It was learnt that the money was for the procurement of Fokas Savings and Loans Limited shares. The policemen believed this reduction to be dubious and they weren’t even informed of it! See link for more: http://www.punchng.com/metro/policemen-kick-against-salary-deduction/
50 Cent Pleads Not Guilty to Domestic Violence Charge
5. First 3D-Printed rifle successfully fires 14 shots. I really hope these 3D-Printers are regulated. I would definately like the idea of being able to print whatever I want from home but we can’t have people printing guns like it’s coursework! See here for more: http://mashable.com/2013/08/06/update-3d-printed-rifle/